Thursday, February 14, 2013

Mushroom Baked Potato



Happy Valentine's Day!

This time last year, Michael and I had only been dating for a month, so I decided to go all out to impress my new boyfriend. I made him a big steak dinner---which is a GIANT deal for a vegan. But, like I have said before, I do make non-vegan meals for the people I love because, well I love them! So, of course this year Michael requested another steak dinner, and I obliged. The rest of the meal was vegan though, so I ate everything else---and had some yummy wine.

I made a healthier version of the classic baked potato. I added mushrooms, vegan cheese, and chives. There are tons of methods to speed up the cook time for baked potatoes, but I don't like them. This basic way is not hard and they come out prefect. It does take time, but just throw them in while you make make the rest of dinner, pick up the house, or do whatever else you need to do.

This recipe makes 2 servings, but can be easily multiplied.

Mushroom  Baked Potato
2 large potatoes
1 tbs vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
1/2 cup diced onions
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tsp season salt
1 tsp parsley
2 tbs Vegan Cheese (I used Trader Joe's Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds)
Chives, chopped



Pre-heat the oven 475 degrees.

Wash your potatoes well.  Pierce the potatoes with a fork several times all around.

Wrap the potatoes in foil, and put them in the oven.

Bake for 35-45 minutes, until a fork can be easily inserted into the center.

While they bake, melt the vegan butter in a skillet over medium-low heat.

Add the onions and cook until softened.

Add the mushrooms, cook until softened and slightly golden.

Add the season salt and parsley. Then set aside.

Once the potatoes are ready, remove from the foil and cut down the middle--but not all the way through.

Top your potato with the cheese, mushroom mixture, and chives---or anything else you like.


I added some garlic sautéed green beans and Michael wanted creamed corn. Simple and delicous meal, and no big hassle or mess. I have all evening to spend with my sweetheart now.






No comments:

Post a Comment