Friday, April 8, 2011

Pizza Dough

In my Pad Thai Pizza post, I posted a link for pizza dough but I thought this time I would demonstrate how easy it is to make. This is my mom's recipe. I am not sure where she got it from specifically, but most pizza dough recipes are the same anyways. 

Easy Pizza Dough
1 cup warm water (around 105 degrees F)
1 packet active yeast
1 tbs sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tps salt
1 tbs olive oil

Dissolve the packet of yeast into the warm water. The temperature of the water is very important---too hot will kill the yeast and too cold wont activate it. Add the sugar and set aside to proof. It should get all bubbly and frothy like in the photo. If nothing happens, then you will have to throw it out and try again. I had trouble getting this right when I first started working with yeast.












In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt, then drizzle olive oil on top.









Tacky
Once the yeast is proofed, pour it over the dry mixture and mix together until well combined. Do not over work the dough, it will get tough and chewy. It should be moist and tacky between your fingers.
 Cover the bowl with a damp towel (if you live in a humid place then it doesn't need to be damp) and set aside to rise for at least 30 minutes (I forgot it for 2 hours once and it was still fine).

Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees F and spray your pizza pan with cooking spray.


I put mine in the microwave while it rises so it's out of the way.
Once it's puffed up significantly, punch it down and place on a well-floured surface.













Knead gently, just until it's smooth. Again, try not to overwork the dough. No one likes a chewy pizza.  Just be patient and gentle with your dough,  and all will be well.
I split mine and freeze half.


Roll the dough into the shape of pizza pan. Transfer to your pan and shape to fit. If it tears, just mold it back together, no big deal.


Bake for 10 minutes, until slightly golden, turning over half way through. This is only a pre-bake so it should not be golden and crispy just yet.


Now you have a prefect pizza crust ready to be topped and baked!

3 comments: