Friday, April 15, 2011

Spinach and Mushroom Pizza

I wanted something different for my Friday night pizza this week, and thought sauce-less might be nice. I saw an amazing spinach pizza recipe when I was looking at other vegan blogs last night...but I can't remember which one I saw it on. There are great vegan sites out there and one of them has a fantastic spinach pizza recipe that I based this on.

Thrawed on the counter for 5 hours
My pizza dough recipe makes 2 to 3 pizzas easily, so I freeze some for the next few weeks. It should freeze nicely, and I heard on some cooking show before that it can last for up to 3 months (though I usually eat mine within a month so I don't know). Again, I suggest pre-baking the crust since the veggies do not take long to cook.




 


Spinach and Mushroom Pizza
1 pre-baked pizza crust (try mine)
1 tbs olive oil
1 clove of garlic, fine chopped
1 cup spinach, chopped (frozen or fresh)
1/8 cup red onion, sliced
1/2 mushroom, sliced
1/8 cup kalamata olives, chopped.  
Pinch of salt and pepper






Evenly spread the olive oil and chopped garlic on the pre-baked pizza crust.














If you use frozen spinach like I did, thaw and thoroughly drain it, or else your pizza will be soggy.  If you are using fresh, wash it well and coarsely chop.











Evenly spread the spinach over the crust, then spread on the onions on top.








If you use fresh mushrooms like I did, wash and dry them well before slicing. If you use canned, drain them thoroughly like the spinach to keep your pizza from getting soggy. Evenly spread on top of the spinach and onions.

Top with the olives, then sprinkle on a pinch or two of salt and pepper. If you like a kick, add some red pepper flakes too.


Bake for 7-10 minutes, until spinach and mushrooms are wilted.

It's a nice change from the same old tomato sauce pizza, plus it will make you strong like Popeye :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment