Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Udon Noodle Attempt

Awhile ago a posted a blog for sushi with a video link to a YouTube channel called Cooking With Dog. It's weird that she cooks with a cute little dog, but she makes some interesting Japanese dishes. Most aren't vegan and some are kinda complicated. But I was surprised to see that udon noodles were vegan and fairly simple.

I didn't use the special kind of flour the video calls for and I only had a tiny big of starch so my noodles were not as soft as they should have been. Plus, I am not familiar with Japanese cooking techniques so they are no where near as pretty the dog lady's noodles. That being said, they did taste like udon noodles and had the right outer texture. I was very happy with my first attempt.

Since I followed the video pretty closely, it would be silly re-type everything. So watch the video and look at the lovely photo sequence of my attempt.












As a good food blogger, I will actually post an original recipe too. This is a simple stir-fry I make often, just made it up one day with the random things I had in the fridge. It was a lovely accompaniment for the udon noodles.



Spinach and Tofu Stir-Fry
1/4 cup frozen or 1 cup fresh spinach
1/4 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic
1/4 of a block of firm tofu
1 tbs soy sauce
2 tps sesame seeds
1 tps red chili sauce





Heat some water or veggie broth in a skillet over medium heat.



Add spinach, onions, garlic, and tofu. Cook until the spinach is done (defrosted for frozen or wilted for fresh), and the tofu is heated through and lost most of its moisture.






Add the soy sauce and sesame seeds, cook for a minute or two more.


Remove from the heat and garnish with the chili sauce. Serve it over the udon noodles or whatever else you like.




No comments:

Post a Comment