Friday, June 10, 2011

Hawaiian Mac Salad

When you order a Hawaiian plate lunch, you can be certain of two things: large portions and macaroni salad. They usually aren't vegan so I have to order all rice instead.  But to keep up with my Hawaiian post trend, I thought I should make my own version. There isn't anything that makes this dish unique to Hawaii besides the fact it's very popular here. It's pretty much the same recipe you mom makes for picnics. I kept everything traditional, the only difference is I used Veganaise instead of mayonnaise.





Mac Salad
2 cups large elbow macaroni, dry
1/4 cup carrots, grated
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
1 cup Veganaise
1 tbs sweet relish
Salt and pepper to taste












Bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove. Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the package.  Drain and set aside.










Broke college kid doesn't have a grater, so I chopped my carrots



Grate the carrots and chop the celery.




 
The glass bowl makes it look like it's sitting on the counter.

In a large bowl, add the macaroni, carrots and celery. Add the Veganaise and relish then mix together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Veganaise is the best thing ever. Way better than dairy mayo.











Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. This gives the macaroni time to absorb all the flavors.





I ate mine on it's own, but it's a fabulous side dish for any entree...man, now I wish I made some BBQ tofu to go with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment