Friday, January 24, 2014

Chipotle Sofritas


Last week Michael and I stopped by the mall after work to browse for some stuff. I suddenly got that horrible pregnancy hunger---the one like "IF I DON'T EAT NOW I WILL TURN INTO GODZILLA AND DESTROY THIS WHOLE BUILDING!!!" So Michael suggested we eat before continued. I saw Chipotle and thought of how those warm burritos saved my life after hours of studying in college. As we entered, I saw the sign for sofritas! I totally forgot they added a vegan protein option to the menu! I thought I died and went to heaven!

The sofritas are braised organic tofu  marinated in a blend of spices and peppers. It's was very tender and very flavorful. It had a bit of a kick, but was not overly hot. I wouldn't say it tasted exactly like meat (a meat eater would probably be able to tell the difference), but the texture was pretty close. 

While I love Chipotle, they can be very high in calories. Even if you make it all vegan. Let's compare the burrito I used to order in college:


Do you see that? 1505 calories in a burrito and side of chips & salsa. With no meat or dairy! It's all the carbs and fat. Proof you can still be vegan and eat unhealthy. Let's make some reasonable variations, like adding the new sofritas and cutting out the chips & salsa:


Just buy cutting out the chips& salsa, you save 590 calories alone. The carbs drop from 215 to 147, and the total fat from 60 to 43. Getting better, but let's look at what I ordered last week:


A total of 660 calories, way more reasonable. I switched to tacos instead, which saves about 50 calories from the tortilla. I also cut out the rice. Yes, you can get brown rice for added nutrition, but that is still a lot of carbs for one meal, so skip it. I also cut out the guacamole. It is a healthy fat, but it's high in calories and still is a fat. I add it as treat every one and awhile, but not every time. I also always pick black beans over pinto beans because they have less sodium and more fiber. But load it up with all the salsas you want! They are lower in calories and you get more veggies in for the day. 

If you are really cutting calories try this:


A salad with sofritas, only 440 calories. More nutrition from the added lettuce. The black beans still provide some carbs to make it a balanced meal. No dressing (215 calories), but all the salsas will provide enough liquid/flavor to take it's place at a less than half the calories. 

I really suggest trying the sofritas next time, they are really delicious. Just make wise decisions on what you add to your meal. Even healthy and organic food in the wrong amounts can become unhealthy. And if you are pregnant like me, make sure you get enough protein (likes sofritas) with every meal to keep you full so you don't end up wanting calorie-packed extras like chips. No one want to be losing a ton of baby weight because you didn't balance meals properly. 

ol
I couldn't get a good shot of just the sofritas without
it falling apart, but it pretty much looks like tofu pieces. 
By the way, all the images I used are screen captures from Chipotle's Nutrition Calculator on its website. I really suggest checking to see if you favorite chain restaurants have this feature before you go. You can see what vegan options they have or how you can make things vegans. You can also figure out how to get what you really want, without going overboard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment