Thursday, October 31, 2013

Roasted Chickpeas


Being pregnant does not mean eating for two. And it is not an excuse to eat whatever you want. In reality, for a healthy single pregnancy, you do not need any extra calories the first trimester. The second about 300 more. And the third about 500 more. 

So being 16 weeks, I need an extra 300 calories a day right now. This equates one extra snack.  I was having a glass of soy milk and a piece of fruit, but I was getting bored with that everyday. I wanted something crunchy and salty---like potato chips, but not as much fat. Plus I wanted more protein. Then I saw something on Pinterest about roasted chickpeas and knew I had to make them. I decided to just make up my own version to suit my taste. So feel free to change the spices to suit your tastes!

This recipe makes about 15 servings.

Roasted Chickpeas
1 bag of dry chickpeas
Water
4 tbs Olive Oil
Salt
Smoked Paprika 






In a large bowl, add the dry chickpeas and cover with water. 

Let for at least 6 hours, overnight is possible. Side note, the chickpeas making a popping noise as soak up the water. Took an hour for my husband and I to figure out where the noise was coming from...

Drain the chickpeas. 

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.

Coat with the olive oil, salt, and smoked paprika. 

Spread onto a baking sheet in a single layer.

Baked for one hour. Give them a stir or shake occasionally. 

Let them cool and enjoy! 


These are even better than I hoped! I am one happy expecting mama!


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE roasted chickpeas. They are such an easy snack to make and are so versatile in terms of flavor. I go through at least 2 cans a week eating them like this.

    ReplyDelete