Monday, October 17, 2011

Homemade Seitan II: Seitan Ribs

Awhile ago I posted a recipe for homemade seitan where you wash the starch off all purpose flour dough. It makes a very tasty meat substitute, but it is time consuming and annoying to do. There is an easier way to make your own seitan: vital wheat gluten. It is simply gluten flour, flour that already has the starch removed. I have not bought it before because plain flour is usually cheaper. But I found a small box on sale for $2.99 at my local health food store (two hippies got into a fight in the check-out line so I stepped behind to display to get out of their way and noticed the box on the shelf).

The beauty of vital wheat gluten is there is no washing necessary. Just mix the ingredients, knead lightly, and boil. Takes at least half an hour off the prep time. Awhile ago I saw a blog for BBQ seitan ribs, which I magically cannot find again, so I decided to made a similar recipe.



Vital Wheat Gluten Seitan
1 cup vital wheat gluten 
3/4 cup vegetable broth 
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tps smoked paprika 
1 tps chili powder
1 tps garlic powder
6 cups water or vegetable broth
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs paprika
1 tps garlic powder
1 tps cumin
2 cloves of garlic, skin removed and crushed









In a small bowl, add vital wheat gluten. Shift through it a bit to get any clumps out.








Add the remaining 3/4 cup vegetable broth, 2 tps soy sauce, smoked paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder. 








Knead the ball for a minute or so, just until it all comes together and is smooth. 







Let it rest for 5 minutes, then knead a few more times. 







Divide and mold into desired shapes. I tore mine in half, flatten out one half into slab for my rips, and made a patty and nuggets with the other half. 








Add combine the remaining ingredients into a large pot. Add the seitan pieces and cover with a lid. 







Bring to a boil over medium heat. Once it starts to boil, reduce to simmer and cook 45 mins to 1 hour. 








Turn off the heat, leave the lid on and let it cool in the stock.

Once cool, remove the stock. It's ready to be used right away or can be stored for later.













Seitan Ribs
1 large, flat seitan steak 
BBQ sauce(used any style or brand you like, I used a sweeter one)
BBQ rub (again, any style or brand you like, mine was just a mix of random spices I had in the pantry: paprika, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, and chipotle)











Pre-heat the oven to broil or heat up the grill.






Cut the strips into the steak like rips.








Now brush on BBQ sauce. 




Rub the seitan steak with the BBQ rub. And yeah I know, traditionally you don't put sauce on it if you have a rub but that what I recipe I based this on said and I like the combination.

Bake for 30 minutes or so, until the seitan has a crunchy blacken crust. I am not sure on the grill time since I don't have a grill. I really wish I could the site I got this recipe from.










I think I like seitan better this way, but in the end I will go with whats cheapest. So unless vital wheat gluten is on sale, I will just make the flour dough and wash the stretch out. But I will totally make these ribs again sometime. They are chewy and smokey, so delicious. 

Seitan ribs, green beans, and olive bread. 


8 comments:

  1. Nice tutorial. VWG is pretty cheap here but I've always wanted to have a go at making seitan from scratch, I've been told a few times that it makes a nicer seitan.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, seitan ribsssss.

    VWG tends to be expensive here too... if you buy it in a sealed package, it's something like $8/lb. $8/lb!! It's still cheaper than buying pre-made seitan but oy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still drooling over the cheezy bread sticks with dipping sauce, and now this! :) And because of that, and to share some Aloha, I'm passing on the Liebster Award to you. :) You can check out the info on my Liebster post today at http://www.differentshadesofgreen.com/2011/10/spaghetti-squash-primavera-award.html.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just letting you know i nominated you for a Liebster on my blog on the 19/10. the title of your blog alone was enough to catch my eye! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum !I am going to have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you just randomly threw in a hippie fight at the cashier! More info on that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grill mine on charcoal to get a real bbq flavor, absolutely love them! Thanks for the recipe! http://www.cookeatdelicious.com/sauce-recipes/barbecued-seitan-ribs-bbq-sauce-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete