Saturday, October 29, 2011

Kabocha Squash Soup

I love when good things are cheap. My local health food store had variety of locally grown squash on sale. The minute I saw them, I thought of hot bowl of creamy soup. I first picked-up a butternut squash but then a lovely little green one caught my eye. I didn't know what kind it was but it wad lighter (hence cheaper) so I bought it. After a bit of Google and asking my mom, I learned it was a kabocha.

Kabocha is a Japanese winter squash. It looks like a squat green pumpkin. It has the texture of pumpkin but tastes more like a sweeter butternut squash. It is high in iron, vitamin C, and potassium. It's meat is bright orange and it's packed full of seeds too (I roasted them, a bit chewier than pumpkin seeds but still good). 

I came up with this recipe on my own, but it's pretty much like any basic squash soup. This would also be wonderful with most other squash varieties as well. 

Kabocha Squash Soup
1 kabocha squash
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 cup vegetable broth 
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 cups of kale, chopped
3 cups water
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste





Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. 



Spray a baking sheet or pan with cooking spray and lay the squash cut side down.

Bake for about an hour, until totally soft. 

While that roasts, chop up the veggies. 





In a large pot, heat a some oil and sauté the onions until translucent. 

Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes. 





Add the kale and cook until tender. Add the 3 cups water. Remove from heat and set aside. 





Once the squash is done and cooled, scoop out the meat into a blender. 

Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Blend until smooth. You may need to add a bit of water if it's too thick.  ( I don't know what happened to the picture of this step, sorry!)






Add the squash puree to the pot and turn the burner on to medium-low heat. 











Add the spices and salt and pepper to taste. Bring up to desired temperature and serve hot. 










I have a bit of a cold again so I had my with a lovely glass of Theraflu. Hopefully the vitamin C in the squash will do me some good. 



No comments:

Post a Comment