Thursday, November 24, 2011

Holiday Cream of Wheat

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday filled with joy and are surrounded by those you love. I would like to take a moment to share what I am thankful for:

My amazing family who always supports and loves me.
My sorority sisters who still are my rock 2 years after graduation.
The privilege of higher education.
The aloha spirit of Hawaii.
All my readers and subscribers.
My darling litte kitty Penny who makes me smile everyday with her love and antics.
Took forever to get her to sit still and face the camera!

I will be posting the recipes for my dinner tomorrow, but I thought I would share a lovely idea for a holiday breakfast.

Like most babies, my mom fed me farina, more commonly known as Cream of Wheat. She says I loved it so much that I would practically fall out of my highchair in excitement the minute I saw the box. And to this day, it makes me so happy when I eat it. I have no idea why, guess it just brings back childhood memories. I saw a box of Cream of Wheat on sale at the grocery store and couldn't resist. I normally eat oatmeal for breakfast because of all its health benefits, but I figured if I can't have my family for the holidays, I can something that conjures up happy memories.




While I was heading to the registers, something else caught my eye: Rice Nog. It's pretty much a spiced up version of Rice Dream's Vanilla Rice Milk. I've only had egg nog once before I went vegan, and to be honest, I liked the flavor but it was too rich for me. I was curious if a non-dairy version with way less fat would be better, so I bought a carton. I poured a small glass of it the next morning and was pleased. The flavor is perfect, and creamy without being overly rich. My only complaint is that it isn't thick like egg nog, but that probably because of the lower fat content.


Then I realized it would be perfect in farina because it is already spiced and sweetened. I added some raisins for added fiber and I made myself a lovely little holiday treat. This makes one serving, but can easily be multiplied.

Holiday Cream of Wheat
1 and 1/4 cup Rice Nog
3 tbs quick cook Cream of Wheat
Pinch of salt (optional)
1/8 cup raisins (1/4 is a serving, but I find that is too many raisins)
Nutmeg, to garnish

















In small pan, bring the Rice Nog to a boil.








Add the Cream of Wheat, whisking continuously for a minute to prevent lumps.








Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often to prevent lumps.










Once the farina is cooked and it has thicken to desired consistency, remove from heat and add the raisins.












Serve in a bowl and garnish with a touch of nutmeg.

A big bowl of holiday happiness!





No comments:

Post a Comment