Friday, July 13, 2012

Soy Cheese Quesadilla

I have some very exciting news: I have a real job! I now work for Greenpeace doing frontline canvassing. I am so happy to work for an organization that shares my same morals and ethics. I love the environment and know that if people just understood what is truly going on in the world, they would want to be more accountable. I am happy with job and my semi-adult life so far. And, hopefully soon I will have my own place so I can start cooking more again.

I thought I would post a recipe for a healthy version of a college staple: quesadillas. Of course I don't use real queso, I use Daiya Cheddar Shreds. Using soy cheese alone makes it healthier because it cuts out all the cholesterol. Daiya hands down make the best nondairy cheeses (you can read my review in my Mac and Cheese post), but I don't care what it claims, soy cheese never melt under basic heat like dairy cheese. But, there is a secret to making it melt---steam. 

For some added nutrients (I mean come on, you can't just eat a cheap pile of cheese and tortillas), I always add some greens into my quesadillas.  Any fresh greens will do---kale, spinach, swiss chard, lettuce & etc. I used some left over mixed salad that from dinner a few nights ago so I had a bit of each. I also whole wheat tortillas. They have more fiber, which is always good. 

This makes one quesadillas, but just multiply to make as any as you like.


Soy Cheese Quesadillas 
2 small whole wheat tortillas
Handful of Greens (spinach, kale, chard, lettuce...)
Red pepper flakes, to taste
2-3 tablespoons of water, just enough to barely cover the bottom of the skillet 












Spray a large skillet with some cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.





Place one tortilla down into the pan.

Pile the cheese on top of the tortilla. 










Pile the greens on top of the cheese.

Sprinkle on some red pepper flakes.






Top with the other tortilla. 

Pour in the water. I suggest pouring it rounding the tortillas, not directly on, so they do not get too soggy. Add it slowly and stop once it barely cover the whole bottom.

Next cover the skillet, I used a large plate but a lid works fine too. 

Let it steam until the water is all evaporated. You can peak under the cover if you need to, but I just listen until I hear the tortilla start to sizzle.



Remove the cover, and adjust the heat as needed. Let it brown lightly. 

Flip gently and let the other side brown.

Remove from the pan and cut into desired pieces. 




I topped mine with some salsa and hot sauce. It's easy and pack with protein, vitamins, and fiber. 




1 comment:

  1. The name of your blog is HILARIOUS! Love it and look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete