Thursday, October 18, 2012

Vegetable Stew with Red Wine Gravy

I don't have a cute story behind why I made vegetable stew. I just thought of it and made it. Regardless, it was delicious and hearty. A lovely fall dinner! 

This makes about 4 servings. I made this in a slow cooker but it can be done over the stove as well.

Vegetable Stew with Red Wine Gravy
3 tbs of vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
6 small red potatoes, cut in half
3 large carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 large parsnips, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/2 a medium white onion, chopped 
3 tbs of flour
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 bottle of red wine (I used a Cabernet Sauvignon) 
2 tsp herd de provence 
Salt and Pepper
Water, as needed


Turn the slow cooker to low. Add the vegan butter and let it melt.

 Add the halved potatoes, chopped carrots and parsnips, and the chopped onion. 

Add the garlic and flour. Mix until all the veggies are coated in flour. 

Add the wine, herb de provence and enough water to ensure all the veggies are covered. 

Cover and let it cook on low to medium-low heat until the veggies are soft the gravy is thick. 

Season with salt and pepper. 


You can serve this with a big piece of bread like I did for dinner the night I made this. Or have it over rice like I did the next day for lunch. Both were delicous. 


No comments:

Post a Comment